Overview of the Graduation Requirements
- Total required credits: 130 credits
- Elective General Education: 44 credits
- Major: 78 credits – Basic Major: 42 credits, Intensive Major: 36 credits
- Graduation Thesis: Not applicable
- School of Biomedical Engineering internal regulations – Two from Bioengineering Experiments Ⅰ, Ⅱ, and Ⅲ should be completed.
- Required Major Credits:
Required Major Credits Classification Major Dual Major Double Major Transfer without a Diploma Transfer with a Diploma Required Elective Intensive Total Major-related General Education Required Elective TOTAL Major-related General Education Required Elective TOTAL Major-related General Education Required Elective TOTAL School of Biomedical Engineering 15 27 36 78 6 15 53 74 6 15 27 48 Remaining credits to be earned except those transferred. 6 15 53 74
Foreign Language Test Scores:
- Certificate of Official English Proficiency Test Scores
Certificate of Official English Proficiency Test Scores Eligibility ENGLISH Note TOEIC TOEFL TOSEL
TEPS IELTS PBT CBT IBT Students admitted to college after 2006 650 530 197 71 512 571 5.5 Only scores acquired after admission are accepted.
- Completion of Foreign Language (English) Mediated Courses
- Five or more courses, three or more courses for the undergraduate transfer with a diploma students, and Freshman Seminar
- Certificate of the Comprehension of Chinese Characters
- Not applicable
- Criteria for Internal Transfer Students
- Graduation requirements for internal transfer students
Major-related General Education
- At least four courses (16 credits) should be completed from General Physics I & II (with Lab), General Chemistry I & II (with Lab), General Biology & Practice I & II (with Lab). A one-semester course (e.g., General Chemistry I & II (with Lab), instead of courses I & II, is approved as an equivalent to level I of the course. In addition, similar courses for science and engineering students (e.g., Basic Chemistry & Exercise I & II, General Physics for Life Scientists) can also be approved.
- Courses similar to the calculus course (e.g. General Mathematics & Practice, Bioengineering Mathematics I) are approved as General Mathematics & Practice I (3 credits).
- General Mathematics & Practice II and Computer Language and Practicum are excluded from Major-related General Education.
Basic Major Courses
Only courses listed in “Table of Similar Courses” are approved as major courses
Intensive Major Credit Transfer
Credits of completed courses listed in “Table of Similar Courses” are approved. For the students who entered the school before 2012 and acquired 36 credits or more from the courses listed in “Table of Approved Courses for Major” before internal transfer, up to 26 credits are approved as intensive major courses. However, similar or duplicated courses may not be recognized.
- ※ Issues related to internal transfer that are not stipulated herein will be discussed and determined by the Curriculum Review Committee of the School of Biomedical Engineering.
- ※ Issues related to graduation that are not stipulated herein will be discussed and settled by the Graduation Review Committee of the School of Biomedical Engineering.
FAQs for Graduation Requirements
- Only courses completed before internal transfer can be approved for credit transfer, and the courses listed in “Structure and Management Guideline for Curriculum (hereinafter curriculum)” of the School are required to complete after transfer.
The courses listed below are approved as similar courses to the major-related general education of the School. Check if the number of credits earned in both courses is equal (3 credits → 3 credits).
School of Biomedical Engineering Curriculum & Similar Courses Approved School of Biomedical Engineering Curriculum Similar Courses Approved MATH161 CALCULUS WITH LAB MATH163 Elementary Mathematics Calculus and Matrices with Lab MATH164 Calculus for Life Sciences with Lab CHEM151 GENERAL CHEMISTRY I CHEM150 General Chemistry Lecture & Study Session LIET151 General Chemistry I CHEM153 GENERAL CHEMISTRY LABORATORY I CHEM155 General Chemistry Laboratory LIET155 Basic Applied Chemistry Laboratory I
- The similar courses and recognized courses listed in page 7 “Table of Similar Courses (for internal transfer students)” of the curriculum are based on the 2013 curriculum of each department. Therefore, the courses changed in 2013 can be transferred as similar or approved courses if evidence is presented. However, no similar course can be transferred in duplication with recognized courses.
In accordance with the standard described in #3, the courses listed below are approved as equal to each other.
Courses completed before internal transfer (Before 2013) & Courses completed before internal transfer(2013 or after) Courses completed before internal transfer (Before 2013) Courses completed before internal transfer (2013 or after) KHRS201 Diagnostic Radiation Physics KHRS223 Radiation Physics KHRS209 Medical Electrical Engineering KHRS231 Introduction to Electrical Engineering for Radiological Applications PSYC201 Fundamentals of Psychology I Approved for 3 credits KHPH240 Rehabilitation Psychology Approved for 2 credits, not 3 credits KHCP406 Bioinformatics KHEH418 Basic bioinformatics and laboratory
- Major courses completed in departments other than the College of Health Science (e.g., Organic Chemistry from the Department of Chemistry) can be approved as general elective courses, not as major courses due to many issues related to the computing system, the administrative process and overall fairness.
- Annexed Form 8 “Graduation Requirements of the School of Biomedical Engineering” of the curriculum is applied to all internal transfer students. Therefore, students who entered KU in 2014 or freshmen may take three individual courses of major-related general education, instead of completing courses in pair (e.g., General Physics (with Lab) I & II, General Chemistry (with Lab) I, General Biology (with Lab) I).
- The FAQs are documented to enhance the understanding of students in regards to graduation requirements for internal transfers, and they are a part of the complete requirements for graduation. Therefore, they are not newly added rules to the graduation requirements described in the curriculum.
- The amended curriculum is applied to students who entered KU in the 2017 academic year, and the requirement of the graduation thesis is scrapped from the internal regulations of the School.
- Medical Engineering Project is excluded from major required credits and earned credits are recognized as a major elective for students who graduate in August 2017 or afterward. The requirement of the graduation thesis is scrapped from the internal regulations of the School. (The same applies to multi-major students and/or transfer with a diploma students.)